Required Knowledge for 7th Gup
· The meaning of the pattern Dan-Gun:
Dan-Gun is named after the Holy Dan-Gun, the legendary founder of Korea in
the year 2333 B.C.
Dan-Gun has 21 movements and its diagram is a capital letter “I”.
· The Student Oath of Tae Kwon Do:
I shall observe the Tenants of Tae Kwon Do.
I shall respect the instructors and seniors.
I shall never misuse Tae Kwon Do.
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice.
I shall build a more peaceful world.
· The Tenets of Tae Kwon Do:
Self Control (Guk-Gi)
Indomitable Spirit (Baek-Jul Bool-Gool)
· The three (3) classes of Black Belt:
1st-3rd Dan Novice
4th-6th Dan Expert
7th-9th Dan Master
(General Choi Hong-Hi being Grand Master and Founder)
· Assassinated American Presidents:
16th Abraham Lincoln (1861-1865)
20th James Abram Garfield (1881)
25th William McKinley (1897-1901)
35th John F. Kennedy (1961-1963)
· Oath of Loyalty: (In order of importance)
4. Be Loyal and Love Friends
· Korean Terms:
1. Guarding Block-Debi Makgi
2. Outer Forearm Guarding Block-Bakat Palmok Debi Makgi
3. Twin Outer Forearm Block-Sang Bakat Palmok Chudan Chukyo Makgi
4. Rising – Chukyo
5. Outer Forearm Rising Block-Bakat Palmok Chukyo Makgi
6. Knife-hand Strike-Seudo Yop Taerigi or Sonkal Yop Taerigi
7. Double Kicking-I-Jing Chagi
8. Combination Kicking-Honap Chagi
9. Consecutive Kicking-Yonsok Chagi
10. Mid Air-Twio Dolmyo
11. Two Step Sparring-Ee Bo Daeryon
Joan M. Drysdale VI Dan ITF/USITF/DSOTKD